About UPSC IES Exam 2022
UPSC IES Exam 2022: Indian Engineering Services remains the most sought-after career for engineering graduates in India. Engineering Services Examination commonly known as ESE is conducted annually by UPSC to recruit engineers in four domains namely Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics & Telecommunications for the techno-managerial posts. The examination constitutes a two-stage written examination followed by an interview.
ESE is considered one of the toughest examinations in India due to fewer posts. Owing to the highly competitive selection procedure, IES officers carry high respect and status and are mandated to manage and execute activities in diverse technical and managerial fields.
In this article, we have discussed UPSC IES 2022 Exam in great detail. Interested candidates are suggested to have a nice look at it.
UPSC IES 2022 Exam Basic Info
The table below lists the basic details of the UPSC IES 2022 Exam.
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Exam Stages||Prelims, Mains, and Interview|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|IES Official Website||www.upsc.gov.in|
|Minimum Qualification to fill IES Application Form||Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering|
UPSC IES 2022 Important Dates
Candidates who are willing to take part in UPSC IES 2022 can check the table below for all the important dates. Dates provided below are tentative and subject to change.
Tentative Exam Schedule
|Release of Notification||September – October (Every year)|
|Last Date of Submission of Application||Last week of October|
|Prelims Examination Date||January-February|
|Main Examination Date||June-July|
|Final Result Declaration||November-December|
UPSC IES 2022 Exam Eligibility Criteria
A candidate must be either:
- A citizen of India or
- A subject of Nepal or A subject of Bhutan or
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belongs to categories (b), (c) and (d) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
- A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st January, 2022 i.e., he/she must have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1992 and not later than 1st January, 2001.
- The upper age-limit of 30 years will be relaxable upto 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories, if they are employed in a Department/ Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below and apply for admission to the examination for all or any of the Service(s)/Post(s) mentioned in column 2, for which they are otherwise eligible.
- A candidate who holds substantively a permanent post in the particular Department/Office concerned. This relaxation will not be admissible to a probationer appointed against a permanent post in the Department/Office during the period of his probation. However, this relaxation will be admissible to a probationer so appointed provided he/she already retains a lien on a permanent post in a Department/Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below.
- A candidate who has been continuously in a temporary service on a regular basis in the particular Department/Office for at least 3 years on the 1st January, 2022.
|Column 1||Column 2|
|Central Public Works Department||C.E.S. Group ‘A’, CE&MES Gr ‘A’|
|Ministry of Road Transport and Highways||Central Engineering Service (Roads) Gr. ‘A’|
|Ministry of Communication, Dept. of Telecommunication||Indian Radio Regulatory Service Group ‘A’|
Indian Telecommunication Service Group ‘A’,
J.T.O. (G.C.S. Gr. ‘B’)
|Ministry of Defence, Dept. of Defence Production,|
Directorate General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance
|Defence Aeronautical Quality Assurance Service (DAQAS)Gr ‘A’|
|Ministry of Science and Technology, Dept. of Science and|
|Survey of India Gr ‘A’ Service|
|Geological Survey of India||Assistant Executive Engineer Gr ‘A’|
|Border Roads Organisation||BRES Gr. ‘A’|
|Indian Navy||Indian Naval Armament Service, Asstt. Naval Store Officer|
|Military Engineer Services||Indian Defence Service of Engineers (lDSE) Group ‘A’|
AEE(QS&C) in Military Engineer Service (MES) Surveyor Cadre
|Ministry of Jal Shakti, Dept. of Water Resources, River|
Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Central Water Commission
|Central Water Engineering Group-A Service.|
|Central Electricity Authority||CPES Gr ‘A’ & CPES Gr ‘B’.|
|Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship||Indian Skill Development Service|
- The upper age-limit prescribed above will be further relaxable:
- Up to a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a scheduled caste or a scheduled tribe.
- Up to a maximum of three years in case if candidate belongs to OBC category.
- Upto a maximum of three years in case of defence service personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area, and released as a consequence thereof.
- Upto a maximum of five years in case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st January 2022, and have been released
- On completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due) to be completed within one year from 1st January 2022) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or
- On account of physical disability attributable to Military Service or
- On invalidment;
- Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Services as on 1st January 2022, and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and they will be released on three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
- Up to a maximum of 10 years in the case of candidates of PwBD (Low vision Locomotor Disability including Cerebral Palsy, Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims & Muscular Dystrophy and Hard of Hearing).
- A candidate of ESE 2022 will be eligible to get benefit of economically weaker Section reservation only in case the candidate meets the criteria issued by the Central Government and is in possession of requisite Income & Asset Certificate based on income of financial year 2021-2022.
- Obtained a degree in Engineering from a university incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as universities under section-3 of the University Grants Commission act, 1956 or
- Passed Section A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India) or
- Obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time or
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India) or
- Passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India or
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959
Provided that a candidate for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts and Engineer Group ‘A’ in Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing/Monitoring Organization) may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely:
- For Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engg. Posts) – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
- For Indian Radio Regulatory Service – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a subject or Master’s Degree in Science with Physics and Radio Communication or Electronics or Telecommunication as a special subject.
UPSC IES 2022 Exam Pattern
Stage-I: Preliminary Examination (Objective Papers)
|PAPER-I||GENERAL STUDIES AND ENGINEERING APTITUDE||02 HOURS||200|
(CE/ ME/ EE/ E&T)
- Minimum Qualifying Marks for each Paper will be at the discretion of the commission.
- Only those candidates qualifying at this Stage are permitted to appear for Stage – II examination.
Stage-II: Main Examination (Conventional Papers)
|PAPER-I||ENGINEERING DISCIPLINE |
(CE/ ME/ EE/ E&T)
(CE/ ME/ EE/ E&T)
|TOTAL MARKS (MAIN)||600|
|TOTAL MARKS (MAINS + PRELIM)||1100|
- Only those candidates qualifying at this stage (i.e. Stage – I + Stage – II) are selected for Stage – III which is the Personality Test (Interview).
Stage-III: Personality Test
|STAGE-I+ STAGE-II+STAGE III||1300|
- The Candidates who have qualified all stages (Stage I + Stage II + Stage III) will be included in the final list of ESE (Engineering Service Exam).
UPSC IES 2022 Syllabus
Contents for syllabi of the Papers together for Stage-I objective type Paper-II and separately for Stage- II conventional type Paper – II and Paper- II
Also Read – UPSC IES Syllabus & Exam Pattern
PAPER – I
1. Building Materials
2. Solid Mechanics
3. Structural Analysis
4. Design of Steel Structures
5. Design of Concrete and Masonry structures
6. Construction Practice, Planning and Management
PAPER – II
1. Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power
2. Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering
3. Environmental Engineering
4. Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering:
5. Surveying and Geology
6. Transportation Engineering
PAPER – I
1. Fluid Mechanics
2. Thermodynamics and Heat transfer
3. IC Engines, Refrigeration and Air conditioning
4. Turbo Machinery
5. Power Plant Engineering
6. Renewable Sources of Energy
PAPER – II
7. Engineering Mechanics
8. Engineering Materials
9. Mechanisms and Machines
10. Design of Machine Elements
11. Manufacturing, Industrial and Maintenance Engineering
12. Mechatronics and Robotics
PAPER – I
1. Engineering Mathematics
2. Electrical Materials
3. Electric Circuits and Fields
4. Electrical and Electronic Measurements
5. Computer Fundamentals
6. Basic Electronics Engineering
PAPER – II
1. Analog and Digital Electronics
2. Systems and Signal Processing
3. Control Systems
4. Electrical Machines
5. Power Systems
6. Power Electronics and Drives
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
PAPER – I
1. Basic Electronics Engineering
2. Basic Electrical Engineering
3. Materials Science
4. Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation
5. Network Theory
6. Analog and Digital Circuits
PAPER – II
1. Analog and Digital Communication Systems
2. Control Systems
3. Computer Organization and Architecture
4. Electro Magnetics
5. Advanced Electronics Topics
6. Advanced Communication Topics
UPSC IES 2022 Application Process
Prerequisites for IES Application 2022
Before the candidates start applying for the IES exam, they must make sure that they have the following documents, and they must keep them handy while registering.
- A valid mobile number
- An active email address
- Marksheets and degrees
- Scanned copy of the passport-sized photograph
- Scanned copy of candidate’s signature
- Scanned copy of a photo-ID proof
- Reservation Category (if any)
- Banking Details
Specifications for Scanned Documents
The UPSC has specified certain criteria for each of the documents that need to be scanned and uploaded. Following are the specifications for all of them.
|Photo||350*350 pixels-1000*1000 pixels||20- 300 KB|
|Signature||350*350 pixels-1000*1000 pixels||20- 300 KB|
|Photo ID Card||NA||20- 300 KB|
Points to Remember
- The Photograph must be a recent one with a white background.
- The signature must be done on white paper with black or blue ink.
- The signature must match the one to be done by the candidate on the exam day.
- The Signature and the Photograph must be in the JPG format.
- They must have a bit depth of 24.
- The Photo ID Card must be in the format of a PDF.
The Application Process of IES 2022 has three main stages- Registration, Payment of Application Fees, and Filling of Application form along with Uploading of Documents. The steps for each stage are given below.
- Go to the official website of UPSC at www.upsc.gov.in.
- Find the link, ‘Online Application for various examinations of UPSC’ on the homepage and click on it.
- Select the ‘New Users’ button.
- A new window asking for personal details will open.
- Enter your name, Parents’ Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Nationality, Email Address, a chosen Password, Mobile Number, Academic Details.
Payment of Application Fees
The Application Fee of the UPSC IES Application Form is not the same for everyone. It varies with the categories of the students. The exact fee structure for all the categories is tabulated below.
The IES Application Fee can be paid both online and offline. Online payment is done through Net Banking/ Credit Card/ Debit Card. Offline payment is done through an SBI Bank Challan of INR 200.
|General/ OBC/ EWS||INR 200|
|SC/ ST/ PH||Exempted|
Filling the Application Form and Uploading Documents
- Select your core branch of Engineering and your preferred exam centre.
- Enter other details in the application form like category, work experience, communication details, etc.
- Upload the scanned copies of your passport-sized photograph, signature, and photo-ID proof as per specifications.
- Double-check all the details entered in the form.
- Read the declaration given at the end carefully and click on ‘I agree’.
- Click on the ‘Final Submit’ button to submit the application form.
- Download the filled-in application form and take its printout.
After the successful submission of the IES Application Form, the candidates get a confirmation mail saying that their registration is completed and their application has been accepted. In case of any error during or after the submission of the Application Form, the candidates must contact the help desk and follow the instructions given by them.
This article discusses UPSC IES 2022 Exam in detail. Every candidate is suggested to go through the aforementioned information very carefully. It is hoped that the contents of this article result to be helpful to all the candidates.
Other Useful Articles:
- SBI PO Syllabus 2021- Syllabus & Exam Pattern
- MP SI 2021 Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- UPPSC Syllabus 2022 and Exam Pattern
- UPPSC Exam 2022 Notification, Dates, Pattern, Syllabus, Result
- UGC NET 2021 Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- UGC NET Exam 2021 Details – About, Dates, Syllabus, Timing, Pattern
- UPTET Exam 2021- Notification, Date, Pattern, Syllabus
- SSC JE 2022 Exam Notification, Exam date, Pattern, Syllabus
- SSC JE 2022 Exam Pattern & Syllabus
- SSC Selection Post Phase 9 Notification, Exam Details, Dates, Pattern, Posts