Reas all the important current affairs january 2021 pdf download ssc cgl useful for all the competitive exams, Check Important National & International Affairs.
Important News – India
- Which was the inaugural film of Kolkata International Film Festival 2021 _ Apur Sansar.
➢ Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, the brand ambassador of West Bengal virtually attended the inaugural ceremony from Mumbai.
➢ As a part of the 26th KIFF, 81 full length movies and 50 short films and documentaries from more than 45 countries will be screened at 8 venues which include the state run halls, Nandan, Rabindra Sadan, Calcutta Information centre, Sisir Mancha and others.
➢ “Apur Sansar” by Satyajit Ray was screened as the inaugural film.
- What is India’s rank in the list of 500 most valuable companies across the world _ 10th.
➢ The total value of these 11 companies grew 14 per cent and has been pegged at $805 billion or nearly a third of the Indian GDP.
➢ All these companies in the list of non-state enterprises have gained in value during 2020, which was hit by the
pandemic, barring tobacco major ITC and second largest private sector lender ICICI Bank, as per the Hurun Global
- Which ministry has launched a month-long mass awareness campaign ‘SAKSHAM’ to spread awareness about green and clean energy __ Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
➢ The pan-India campaign will focus on the adoption of cleaner fuels.
➢ They include moving towards a gas-based economy, cleaner use of fossil fuels, greater reliance on domestic sources to drive biofuels and increased use of electric vehicles.
- Prarambh: Startup India International Summit 2021 was held in which city __ New Delhi.
➢ The Summit is being organizing by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, M/o Commerce &
Industry, as a follow up of the announcement made by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the 4th BIM
➢ 6STEC Summit held in Kathmandu in August, 2018.
➢ Declaring the Summit open, the Minister of Railways, Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food and
Public Distribution Shri Piyush Goyal said that the Summit is a demonstration of neighbourhood first policy which
will booster partnership among the member countries.
- Who unveiled India’s first indigenously designed and developed ‘Driverless Metro Car’ manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Limited _ Rajnath Singh.
➢ The ‘Driverless Metro Car’ are being manufactured by BEML for Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development
Authority (MMRDA) MRS1 project.
➢ The project needs 576 cars which will be supplied by January 2024.
➢ In this regard, BEML recently opened its Depot office at Charkop Metro Depot, MMRDA, Mumbai for commissioning, testing and round-the- clock services for Driverless Metro cars.
- What is the total outlay of the Third Phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY 3.0) 2020-21 aims to provide training to around 8 Lakh candidates __ 948.90 crore.
The PMKVY 3.0 has been designed based on the learnings from the previous 2 editions PMKVY 1.0 (2015-16) &
PMKVY 2.0 (2016-2020).
➢ PMKVY 3.0 aims to provide training to around 8 Lakh candidates during the period of 2020-21 with an outlay of
INR 948.90 Crore.
➢ It will be implemented by the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and will focus on demanddriven skill development, digital technology & Industry 4.0 skills.
- According to a report by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), India Collected what per cent of e-waste generated in 2018-19 __ 10%.
➢ In 2017-18, India generated 7, 08, 445 Tonnes of which only 3.5% was collected.
➢ Further the amount of e-waste generated increased by 32% to 1, 014, 961 tonnes in 2019-20.
➢ In September, 2020, CPCB had issued show-cause notices to 186 producers for not meeting collection targets for
- Which ministry has received the SKOCH Challenger Award under “Transparency in Governance” category for IT-led
initiatives and transformational reforms __ Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
➢ Ministry of Panchayati Raj received the SKOCH Challenger Award conferred under “Transparency in Governance”
category for IT-led initiatives and transformational reforms leading to outcome-based performance improvement,
better transparency and strengthening of the e-Governance in Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) across the
➢ The SKOCH Challenger Award for best performance in the area of Transparency in Governance was given virtually
during the 70th SKOCH Summit.
- The Indian Farm Forestry Development Co-operative Ltd (IFFDC) entered into an MoU with which entity to work together for tribal livelihood generation __ TRIFED.
➢ The two organizations have agreed to partner with each other to organise training programmes for tribal artisans
in the area of entrepreneurship skill and business development.
➢ They will also collaborate further to identify and implement Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and tribal
- Which organization releases the India Innovation Index on the line Global Innovation Index _ NITI Aayog.
➢ The India Innovation Index-2020 seeks to rank the States and Union Territories based on their relative
performance of supporting innovation and to empower them to improve their innovation policies by highlighting
their strengths and weaknesses.
➢ The ranking methodology is designed in a way that states can draw lessons from the national leaders in innovation.
➢ The States and Union Territories have been divided into 17 Major States, 10 North-East and Hill States, and nine
City States and Union Territories, for effectively comparing their performance.
➢ The States and Union Territories have been ranked on two broad categories: outcome and governance
- What is India’s rank in the “Global Firepower Index 2021” that ranks the countries based on their potential military
strength _ 4th.
➢ Each country is evaluated on a multitude of factors related to a prolonged offensive or defensive military campaign.
➢ USA topped the Index with 904 attack helicopters and eleven aircraft carriers and sixty-eight submarines and
40,000 armoured fighting vehicles.
➢ USA was followed by Russia with 189 fighter aircrafts and 538 attack helicopters.
➢ China ranked at third place with 1,200 combat aircrafts and 327 attack helicopters and seventy-nine submarine
- Who was the chairman of the 10-member task force set up by the Union Govt to evaluate the marriageable age of girls which has submitted its recommendations to the Prime Minister’s Office and the Women and Child Development Ministry _ Jaya Jaitley.
➢ The Committee has sent its recommendations to the Prime Minister’s Office and the Women and Child
➢ The committee was tasked with examining the correlation of age of marriage and motherhood with health, medical well-being and nutritional status of mother and neonate/infant/child, during pregnancy, birth and thereafter, key parameters like Infant Mortality Rate (IMR), Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), Total Fertility Rate (TFR), Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB), Child Sex Ratio (CSR) etc.
- In collaboration with which company the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) will establish a
Quantum Computing Applications Lab in the country __ Amazon Web Services (AWS).
➢ The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
will establish a Quantum Computing Applications Lab in the country, to accelerate quantum computing-led
research and development (R&D) and enable new scientific discoveries.
➢ The MeitY Quantum Computing Applications Lab will provide quantum computing as a service to government
ministries and departments, researchers, scientists, academia, and developers, to enable advances in areas such as
manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, and aerospace engineering.
- The Global Risk Report is published by which of the following organizations _ World Economic Forum.
➢ The findings of the report are based on the Global Risks Perception Survey (GRPS) undertaken by over 650
members of WEF’s diverse leadership communities.
➢ The Report is prepared with Strategic Partners, Marsh McLennan in Partnership with SK Group and Zurich
➢ The report is being released before WEF’s upcoming virtual Davos Agenda scheduled to be held between January
- The 1st India-EU IPR dialogue 2021 was held virtually between European Union (EU) Commission and which department of Government of India to discuss key Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) issues affecting businesses __ DPIIT.
➢ The dialogue saw the exchange of information in specific areas of IP.
➢ Indian side gave a general review on the IPR developments inclined with National IPR policy 2016 which resulted
in legislative reforms to stimulate innovation and creativity among start-ups and MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium
- The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) signed an MoU with which organization to boost collaboration in the field of technical exchange & cooperation on sustainable Geo-hazard management __ DRDO.
➢ This initiative will ensure safety of road users on NHs in the country against the adverse effects of landslides and
other natural calamities.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to the new Joint Venture Company (JVC) for an investment of Rs.5281.94 crore in Ratle Hydro Electric Project (850 MW). It is located in which river __ Chenab.
➢ The project is located on river Chenab, in Kishtwar district of Union Territory (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)
➢ It will be commissioned within 60 months.
➢ The life cycle of the project will be 40 years.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) has signed an agreement with which state to improve telecom connectivity in the remote & hilly areas of the state _ Himachal Pradesh.
POWERGRID has created about 67, 500 kms of Optical Fiber Communication (OFC) network which connects over
1000 plus locations across India
➢ POWERGRID’s OFC network covers all major towns & cities of India including the hilly & difficult terrains of Jammu
& Kashmir (J&K) & North Eastern Region.
- According to the Global Climate Risk Index 2021, India is at what position among the most-affected countries by the
devastating impact of climate change globally in 2019 __ Seventh.
➢ As per the the report by Germanwatch, a Bonn-based environmental organization, India was preceded by
Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Bahamas, Japan, Malawi and Afghanistan in the list of countries most affected by the
impacts of extreme weather events in 2019.
➢ Between 2000 and 2019, over 475,000 people lost their lives as a direct result of more than 11,000 extreme
weather events globally and losses amounted to around US $2.56 trillion (in purchasing power parities).
- Who inaugurated the ‘Bharat Parv 2021’, a virtual national festival showcasing the country’s diverse culture, cuisines and handicrafts _ Om Birla.
➢ Minister of State (Independent charge) for Tourism and Culture Shri Prahlad Singh Patel was also present on this
➢ The Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with other central Ministries is organizing this year a virtual ‘Bharat Parv’
event from 26th to 31st January 2021, showcasing the spirit of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’.
- For the first time, a 122-member tri-service contingent of which country participated in Republic Day Parade 2021
➢ The 122-member contingent of the Bangladesh Armed Forces comprising soldiers of the Bangladesh Army, sailors of the Bangladesh Navy, and air warriors of the Bangladesh Air Force was led by the contingent Commander Lieutenant Colonel Abu Mohammed Shahnoor Shawon and his deputies, Lieutenant Farhan Ishraq and Flight Lieutenant Sibat Rahman.
➢ All the three services of the Bangladesh Armed Forces had played a key role in securing independence for their
country in the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971.
- Who has launched the mobile action game Fearless and United Guards (FAU-G) on the occasion of the 72nd Republic Day __________Akshay Kumar.
➢ Akshay unveiled the game with an animated trailer. He wrote, “FAU-G : Fearless And United Guards. Face the enemy.
Fight for your country. Protect our Flag. India’s most anticipated action game, Fearless and United Guards: FAU-G
takes you to the frontlines and beyond!
➢ The game has been developed by Bangalore based studio nCore Games, with a concept by Akshay himself.
- The Textiles Committee of the Ministry of Textiles has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre of which country to boost export of Textile and Apparel in that country __ Japan.
➢ The MoU signing ceremony was held through video conferencing which was presided over by Minister of Textiles
Smriti Irani and State Minister of Economy, Trade, and Industry of Japan Yasumasa Nagasaka.
➢ The main objective of the MoU is to provide the required support to textile trade and industry for ensuring quality as per the requirement of Japanese buyers.
- What is India’s rank out of 98 countries in the COVID-19 performance index published by the Australian think-tank, Lowy Institute _ 86th.
➢ In the index India ranked 86 out of 98 countries, while the United States placed 94 and Brazil at the bottom of the
Sri Lanka was the best faring nation in South Asia, ranking 10, while the Maldives was at 25, Pakistan at 69, Nepal at
70, and Bangladesh at 84.
➢ The think-tank said China was not included “due to a lack of publicly available data on testing”.
- For the conservation of which of the following species the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) has released ‘National Marine Action Plan’ _ Marine Turtle.
➢ Speaking at the virtual launch event the Union Environment Minister said that both floral and faunal diversity
including the marine biodiversity is the beauty of India and we need to conserve it with best possible action and
➢ India has rich marine biodiversity along a vast coastline of over 7,500 km. From colorful fish, sharks, including Whale Sharks, turtles and big mammals like whales, dolphins and dugongs to bright corals, marine habitats not only harbor diverse species but also provide resources essential for human wellbeing.
- What is India’s rank among 180 countries in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) – 2020 released by the Transparency International __ 86th.
➢ India’s ranking on the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) – 2020, has slipped from 80 to 86, even as its score has
decreased only slightly by one point from 41 in 2019, to now stand at 40.
➢ The index released annually by Transparency International, which is a global civil society, ranks 180 countries by
their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and business people.
- Which state has launched ‘PANKH Abhiyan’ for girl child on the occasion of National Girl Child Day 2021 __ Madhya
➢ Wherein ‘P’ stands for protection, ‘A’ for awareness of their rights, ‘N’ for nutrition, ‘K’ for knowledge and ‘H’ for
health. The abhiyan will go on for a year.
➢ The National Girl Child Day is celebrated every year since 2008 to spread awareness about the inequalities and
atrocities girls have to face in our patriarchal society.
- Where was the 15th edition of Toshali National Crafts Mela inaugurated __ Bhubaneswar.
➢ Artisans showcased various handicrafts including lanterns, carpets among other decorative items.
➢ Several women were seen shopping several necklaces, hair-bands, rings and other artificial jewellery items.
- Which organization has organized the 7th edition of ‘MASCRADE 2021– Movement against Smuggled and Counterfeit Trade’ __ FICCI.
➢ The aim of MASCRADE 2021 is to foster a healthy discussion on newer and practical strategies to mitigate the
challenges of counterfeiting and smuggling, especially in a post-COVID era.
Important News – State
- Which state/Union territories signed an MoU with the North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council to promote Bamboo Cultivation and related entrepreneurship in the region _ Jammu & Kashmir.
➢ The North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC) will provide technical guidance in cultivating
various species of Bamboo in the region.
➢ This will promote development of Bamboo based industries in Jammu & Kashmir leading to exports of bamboo
➢ The MoU was in line with the Prime Minister’s vision to encourage tree plantation on farm land “Har Medh Par Ped” mission.
- India’s first ‘Fire Park’ was inaugurated in which state and also a virtual platform ‘Agnishama Seva’ has been launched _ Odisha.
➢ On that occasion CM Patnaik also launched the virtual platform ‘Agnishama Seva’ to provide through which 16 fire related services can be availed.
➢ The Fire Park is a first of its kind initiative to provide awareness on fire safety measures, mainly focusing on School and College students.
➢ It is located under the premises of the Odisha Fire and Disaster Academy in Bhubaneswar.
- India’s first Labour Movement Museum, showcasing the history of world labour movement, will be launched in which state __ Kerala.
➢ The museum will feature a huge repository of documents and exhibits that shaped the labour movements across
the continents and impacted Alappuzha, the cradle of the labour movement in the country, in particular and Kerala
➢ Located alongside the Port and Coir museums displaying the town’s rich maritime heritage, the Labour Movement Museum, the first such window in the country on the class struggle and spirited fight of workers, is part of a larger project that will also be of tourist appeal.
- The Madya Pradesh state government has signed a memorandum of understanding with which state to for replicating the latter’s pioneering Responsible Tourism (RT) initiative _ Kerala.
➢ The States signed a joint declaration under which Kerala will extend a series of services under a 16-point
➢ The MoU was exchanged by Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran and his Madhya Pradesh counterpart Usha Thakur.
➢ As part of the agreement, Kerala will provide a series of services under a 16-point programme.
- Which state government has inaugurated India’s 1st air taxi service under Regional Connectivity Scheme – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (RCS-UDAN) of Govt of India __ Haryana.
➢ As part of the inauguration, Haryana CM flagged off the 1st flight from Chandigarh under the scheme.
➢ It is the 1st time in India a small aircraft is being used for services in form of an air taxi
➢ The airline Aviation Connectivity & Infrastructure Developers Pvt. Ltd (Air Taxi) will operate the air taxi services
and has become the 1st startup airline of India to assist India with this service.
- Mahananda wildlife sanctuary located in which state where the First Mahananda Bird Festival will be organized in
February 2021 _ West Bengal.
➢ The Darjeeling Wildlife Division will be organising the 1st Mahananda Bird Festival from February 20 to 23.
➢ The participants will be taken to the popular birding spots such as Rongdong and Latpanchor, besides other birding
trails within the forests.
➢ Visitors will be able to witness the diverse landscapes of rivers, plains, forests and hills during the festival.
- A geographical indication (GI) tag has been sought for one of the costliest mushrooms in the world that grows in __
Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ Locally called Gucchi, or Morel, the mushroom, priced at over ₹20,000 a kg, is a forest produce collected by local
farmers and tribals. Last June, saffron from the State had been granted a GI tag.
➢ The GI tag application for Gucchi mushroom was filed at the Geographical Indication Registry recently by Jammu-based NGO Border World Foundation and facilitated by the Director of Agriculture, J&K.
- Which state government has announced to increase the number of days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural
Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) from 100 to 150 _ Uttarakhand.
➢ government will increase the number of working days from 100 to 150 under MGNREGA and the entire cost will be
borne by the state government.
➢ This decision was taken during a meeting of the State Employment Guarantee Council.
➢ NREGA was first proposed in 1991 by former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao. Passed in Parliament in 2008, it
aims to provide 100 days of wage employment to enhance livelihood security in rural areas.
- Which state finds the top position in the India Innovation Index 2020 released by the NITI Aayog _ Karnataka.
➢ In the India Innovation Index-2020, the States and Union Territories have been divided into 17 Major States, 10
North-East and Hill States and nine Union Territories and Small States for effectively comparing their performance.
➢ In the 2020 ranking, Karnataka retained its first position in the Major States category. Maharashtra moved one
position higher and stood at 2nd spot while Tamil Nadu slid to 3rd position.
- Women Entrepreneurship Hub (WE Hub) of Telangana Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ‘I-Hub’ (Independent Hub) of which state to enable & support startups by women to raise capital in various focus sectors _ Gujarat.
➢ The partnership will not only benefit women entrepreneurs from Telangana & Gujarat but also others from all over India.
➢ WE Hub is India’s 1st state-led Incubator exclusively for women entrepreneurs, it was established in 2017.
➢ The MoU was signed by Jayesh Ranjan, Telangana IT & Industry Principal Secretary & Anju Sharma, Gujarat Higher and Technical Education Principal Secretary.
- Which becomes the first state to give electricity subsidy through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) ________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ With this, it has fulfilled a power reform condition as proposed by the Centre and thus eligible for additional
➢ The scheme has been implemented in Vidisha district of the State, where electricity is bring supplied through the
MP Madhya Kshetra Vidyut Vitaran Co Ltd with effect from December 2020.
➢ Under the scheme, an amount of ₹32.07 crore was transferred to the bank accounts of 60,081 beneficiaries in
- The BSE has signed an MoU with which state government to create awareness about the benefits of listing among Small & Medium scale Enterprises of the state _ Maharshtra.
➢ In this regard, BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government of Maharashtra.
➢ This MoU will help the micro, small and medium industries in the state to get registered in the capital market and
raise capital from the public capital market.
➢ BSE will also provide technical support to all the MSME industries in Maharashtra.
- Which state government has announced for the for the formation of ‘Mukhyamantri Bagayat Vikas Mission’ to accelerate agriculture, horticulture and promote farming of herbal plants __ Gujarat.
➢ The aim is to accelerate agriculture, horticulture and promote farming of herbal plants.
➢ It will also create employment opportunities through an increase in the export of such products.
➢ Under this mission, the waste land of the government (around 20000 hectare) will be given on 30-year lease for
farming of horticulture and medicinal crops.
- The NASSCOM has partnered with which state’s Artificial Intelligence Mission to launch an Innovation Factory to identify and promote innovative artificial intelligence solutions to address challenges in agricultural sector __ Telangana.
➢ They have announced an ‘innovation challenge’ for start-ups, inviting ideas that can make the lives of farmers
easier by helping them increase incomes.
The winner will get a chance to win a prize money of ₹1 lakh, while the runner-up will get ₹50,000.
- Which state government has launched ‘Avalokana software’ a transparent e-governance tool _ Karnataka.
➢ The software provides a focused eye view on Sustainable Development goals, Scheduled Caste Sub-Plan, Tribal Sub Plan and Centrally Sponsored Schemes.
➢ The Chief Minister issued directions today to the Deputy Commissioners of each district to the data in the software
at regular intervals.
- Which state government has launched the ‘Udyam Sarathi’ app to help youth to explore self-employment opportunities _ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ On the occasion of 71st foundation day of Uttar Pradesh, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched ‘Udyam Sarathi’
app to help youth to explore self-employment opportunities.
➢ As per the government statement, this application will provide all information related to self-employment and the job industry at one click.
- Which state government has launched ambitious ‘Abhyudaya’, state-wide, free coaching facility program _ Uttar
➢ Named ‘Abhyudaya’, the free coaching facility will start from the upcoming Basant Panchmi, the day of worship to the
goddess of learning, Saraswati.
➢ From the day of Basant Panchami, ‘Abhyudaya’, the free coaching facility for students of the state appearing in
various competitive examinations will commence.
- Which state government announced to start ‘Jail Tourism Initiative’ __________Maharashtra.
➢ Home minister Anil Deshmukh announced the jail tourism initiative.
➢ Of the 60 prisons in the state, Thane, Aurangabad, Ratnagiri, Dhule, Nashik, Chandrapur, Byculla women’s jail and
others, are of historical importance.
➢ Based on a proposal initiated by the state prisons department, the state government has decided to launch jail
tourism at Yerawada.
- Which state government has launched new School of Public Health to make policy intervention for building public health capacity and skills and bridge gaps between education and practices in the state __ Rajasthan.
➢ Named after Indian Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR) chairperson S.D. Gupta, the school will
provide technical support to health systems and render help to the State government in harnessing new
➢ IIHMR Dean (Research) D.K. Mangal said on Tuesday that the SPH has taken up a study on non-communicable
diseases, climate change and antimicrobial resistance as its first project to identify priority areas in public
- Which state government has launched a 1st of its kind initiative in India where, beneficiaries of old-age pensions will be automatically selected using the Navodaya app and their pension amount will be paid through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode _ Karnataka.
➢ This model was piloted in Udupi and Ballari districts of the state.
➢ Navodaya app is developed in accordance with the National Education Policy guidelines.
➢ The aim of the initiative is to enable beneficiaries to get the pension without the need of middlemen.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released financial assistance of Rs 2,691 crore to 6.1 lakh beneficiaries in which state under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana __ Uttar Pradesh.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released financial assistance of ₹2,691 crore to 6.1 lakh beneficiaries in Uttar
Pradesh under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G). Modi released the assistance via video
- Which was the 1st state to launch door-delivery of rations under the Public Distribution System (PDS) __ Andhra
➢ Fine quality of rice will be distributed right at the door-steps of the cardholders across the state from February 1.
➢ The move is expected to give huge relief particularly to the elderly people and differently abled as they need to wait for longer hours in the queue lines at the ration shop.
- Which State Government signed an MoU with International Digital Health & Artificial Intelligence Research Collaborative (I-DAIR) in Geneva, Switzerland to develop and deploy digital technologies in the health sector _______Punjab.
➢ The MoU was signed by Punjab’s Additional Chief Secretary (governance reforms) Anirudh Tewari.
➢ Under this MoU, I-DAIR will work on the projects related to data interoperability, real-time epidemiology and
benchmarking of digital health solutions.
➢ Both state government and I-DAIR will promote synergy across communities of practice which will support the
digital health work in the state.
Important News – World
- The National Institute of Oceanography and National Geophysical Research Institute virtually signed an MoU with which country in the field of Marine Sciences and Technology __ Russia.
➢ The POI is the largest research institution in the Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences comprising 31 research units equipped with modern scale devices.
➢ Whereas, CSIR-NIO and CSIR-NGRI, the constituent research laboratories of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) are world renowned Institutes in the fields of Oceanography and Earth Sciences respectively.
- India has signed an MoU with which country to enhance cooperation in the field of Information and Communications Technology & standardization of 5G _ Japan.
➢ The MoU was signed by Minister for Communications, Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad and the Japanese
Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications Takeda Ryota.
➢ It was exchanged through a video conference today.
➢ The Department of Telecom and Japan’s Ministry of Communications will enhance mutual cooperation in the field of 5G technologies, telecom security, submarine optical fiber cable system to islands of India, spectrum
management, smart cities, high altitude platform for broadband in unconnected areas, disaster management and
public safety etc.
- According to the ‘International Migration 2020’ report released by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) which country had the world’s largest transnational community in 2020 __ India.
➢ The United Arab Emirates (3.5 Million), the United States of America (2.7 Million) and Saudi Arabia (2.5 Million)
host the largest numbers of migrants from India.
➢ At the Global level, the number of International Migrants living outside their country of birth reached 281 Million in 2020
- International Migrants represent about 3.6% of the World’s population.
➢ The Growth of International Migration has slowed by 27% or 2 Million due to COVID-19.
- With which country India has signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on a basic partnership framework for
operation of the ‘specified skilled worker’ (SSW) system _ Japan.
➢ SSW is a new status of residence created in Japan in April, 2019, to accept foreign nationals who have a certain level
of expertise and skill.
➢ Indian nationals with certain professional and language skills will be eligible to work under the SSW system.
➢ There are 14 specified industry fields that fall under SSW and workers and professionals in those sectors could be
- Mountaineers of which country makes history by becoming the first to scale in winter the world’s second highest
mountain K2 ________Nepal.
➢ considered as the world’s most dangerous and challenging peak located in Gilgit-Baltistan side of Karakoram range.
➢ The achievement was the result of a collaborative effort between the climbers affiliated with multiple teams: one
led by Nirmal Purja and the other by Mingma Gyalje Sherpa.
➢ It was the only one among 8,000-meter high peaks that was never scaled in winter.
- Which country unveiled new laws to protect England’s cultural and historic heritage in the form of statues and
monuments _ United Kingdom.
➢ This was done to ensure that they are not removed at a whim.
➢ The move comes in the wake of Black Lives Matter protests in the country last year targeting several historic
monuments, including with graffiti on Mahatma Gandhi’s statue in Parliament Square in London.
- Which country overtook the USA as world’s top destination for new foreign direct investment last year _________China.
➢ New investments by overseas businesses into the U.S., which for decades held the No. 1 spot, fell 49% in 2020,
according to U.N. figures released Sunday, as the country struggled to curb the spread of the new coronavirus and
economic output slumped.
➢ China, long ranked No. 2, saw direct investments by foreign companies climb 4%.
- Which country hosted the online international Climate Adaptation Summit 2021 _________The Netherlands.
➢ CAS Online build on the advances of the UN Climate Action Summit by showcasing pioneering solutions to the
climate emergency, and sustaining momentum through to UNFCCC’s COP26 in Glasgow in 2021.
➢ As the world recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, the CAS will deliver action and inspire change to help societies build back better.
➢ It was aimed to help realize the transitions required for a climate-resilient world.
- Which two countries were ranked the best performing countries in their response to the pandemic according to a COVID-19 “performance index” released by the Australian think-tank, Lowy Institute _ New Zealand and Vietnam.
➢ In the index India ranked 86 out of 98 countries, while the United States placed 94 and Brazil at the bottom of the
➢ Sri Lanka was the best faring nation in South Asia, ranking 10, while the Maldives was at 25, Pakistan at 69, Nepal at 70, and Bangladesh at 84.
➢ The think-tank said China was not included “due to a lack of publicly available data on testing”.
- India has launched 2021 as the Year of the Environment along with which country _ France.
➢ The Indo-French Year of the Environment over the period 2021-2022 would be based on five main themes
including environmental protection, climate change, biodiversity conservation, sustainable urban development,
renewable energy and energy efficiency according to a statement by the ministry.
➢ From the French side, it will be implemented by the Ministry of Ecological Transition along with the Ministry of
Europe and Foreign Affairs.
- Which country hosted the hosted the 17th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue 2021 virtually under the theme “The New Normal and Safe and Healthy Tourism” _ Turkey.
➢ Indian side was represented by Ms. Riva Ganguly Das, Secretary (East), Ministry of External Affairs.
➢ During the meeting, She highlighted that India is focusing on tourism promotion as a part of 3T’s strategy which
includes “Trade, Tourism and Technology”.
- Global Climate Risk Index 2021 is released by which organization __ Germanwatch.
➢ India ranked as the seventh worst-hit country in terms of climate change in 2019.
➢ The Global Climate Risk Index 2021 is the 16th edition of the annual report and has taken into account the data
available for 2019 and from 2000 to 2019.
- Recently India held 14th edition of Joint Working Group meet on Counter-Terrorism with which country _ United
➢ Both the nations strongly condemned the terrorism activities in all forms.
➢ Both nations assured to deepen cooperation in order to combat global terrorism and cross-border terrorism in
➢ They also assured to enhance bilateral cooperation to combat counter-terrorism, extremism and radicalization,
financing of terrorism, prevention of internet exploitation for cyber-crimes etc.
- Which organization released the “Global Climate Litigation Report 2021” that highlights that the Climate litigation cases have increased in recent years ________UNEP.
➢ According to the report Climate litigation cases have spiked in recent years, making the courtroom increasingly
relevant to efforts to address climate change around the world.
➢ The report, published by UNEP in cooperation with the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia
University, shows climate litigation has become more common and more successful worldwide.
Banking & Financial Awareness
- With which bank the Mahindra Lifespace Developers has signed an MoU to speed up the home loan approvals as well as offer special discounts to customers and employees of both the companies __ State Bank of India (SBI).
➢ Mahindra Lifespace and SBI have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to enable an improved and more seamless experience for homebuyers across India.
➢ It provides various co-promotional activities and outreach initiatives, customers and employees of SBI and
➢ Homebuyers will benefit by saving on expenses incurred on obtaining Title Investigation Report (TIR) and
valuation for approved projects.
- Electric car maker Tesla has incorporated a fully owned subsidiary in which city of India _ Bengaluru.
➢ It has registered with the Registrar of Companies in Bengaluru, Karnataka as ‘Tesla India Motors and Energy
➢ It is also in the process of setting up a manufacturing plant at Dharwad, Karnataka for producing electric vehicles in India. It has registered itself as a private company with an authorised capital of Rs 15 lakh.
- Which company find top position in the list of 500 most valuable companies across the world _______Apple.
Apple tops in the list of 500 most valuable companies across the world with a value of 2.1 Trillion USD followed by
Microsoft with a value of 1.640 Trillion and Amazon with a value of 1.610 Trillion and Alphabet with 1.2 trillion
➢ The list was released by Hurun in association with China luxury tea brand Empereur.
➢ 2020 Hurun Global 500 list – a list of 500 most valuable companies across the globe, of Hurun Research features a
total of 11 Indian companies
- Which Indian IT company is set to acquire 100% share of Hong Kong based Payments Technology Service Ltd (PTSL) a
subsidiary of Fidelity Information Services (FIS) _ Tech Mahindra.
➢ In regard to this acquisition, Tech Mahindra had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with FIS.
➢ The acquisition will give Tech Mahindra access to Internet Protocol(IP) and licenses for two products – Open
Payment Framework (OPF) and Multi-Bank System (MBS).
➢ With this agreement, Tech Mahindra has planned to expand its BFSI (banking, financial services and insurance)
footprint globally. In support of this strategy, Tech Mahindra will also build a state-of-the-art Centre of Excellence
(CoE) in Chennai, India.
- Which Payments bank has collaborated with the leading payment processor and provider of integrated payment products,
Financial Software and Systems (FSS) to promote Financial Inclusion in underserved and unbanked part of India _
India Post Payments Bank.
➢ To attain this purpose, IPPB will use FSS’ Aadhaar Enabled Payment System(AePS).
➢ The IPPB Partnership with FSS’ AePS solution combines the low-cost structure of a branchless business model,
digital distribution, and micro-targeting that lowers acquisition costs & reaches all customers in rural area.
➢ After this collaboration, IPPB bank has become the single-largest platform in India for providing interoperable
banking services to customers of any bank.
- Which bank has launched ‘Wellness and Wellness Plus’ credit card in partnership with Aditya Birla Wellness Private
Limited __ Yes Bank.
➢ As consumers face new realities of home-schooling of children, working from home, and lack of physical contact
with loved ones and colleagues, this is an innovative step to encourage and promote self-care, mental and physical
➢ Consumers can now enjoy the bouquet of complimentary health benefits by simply registering on the Aditya Birla
- Which bank has partnered with Niyo, a new age fintech, to issue prepaid cards to workers of Micro, Small & Medium
Enterprises (MSMEs) _ ICICI Bank.
➢ MSMEs will now be able to get ‘ICICI Bank Niyo Bharat Payroll Card’ powered by Visa, for their blue-collar workers,
who are mostly under-banked.
➢ With this, MSMEs can upload the salaries of their workers on the card, which the workers can then utilise as per
their need in a seamless manner.
➢ The ‘ICICI Bank Niyo Bharat Payroll Card’ allows an individual to receive funds up to ₹1 lakh into the card account.
- The ADB has partnered with which another bank to initiate a Clean and Sustainable Ocean Partnership to achieve
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the climate goals as advised in the Paris Agreement __ European
➢ In this regard, both entities will support the initiatives in Asia and the Pacific.
➢ This partnership will strengthen the capacity of both entities to support high-impact projects.
➢ They will also develop joint technical assistance programs and advisory support to help their partners in achieving
SDGs of blue economy.
- As per the Reserve Bank of India the State Bank of India, ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank continue to be domestic systemically
important banks (D-SIBs) which are ‘too big to fail’. The Reserve Bank had issued the framework for dealing with D-SIBs in
➢ SIBs are subjected to higher levels of supervision so as to prevent disruption in financial services in the event of any
➢ The Reserve Bank had issued the framework for dealing with D-SIBs in July 2014.
➢ The D-SIB framework requires the central to disclose the names of banks designated as D-SIBs starting from 2015
and place these lenders in appropriate buckets depending upon their Systemic Importance Scores (SISs).
- Which company has signed a concession agreement with state-owned Airports Authority of India (AAI) for the operation,
development and management of airports at Jaipur, Guwahati and Thiruvananthapuram _ Adani Group.
➢ According to terms and conditions specified in the concession agreement, the Adani Group will have to take over
the airports within six months.
➢ The concessionaire will manage, develop and operate the airports for 50 years.
➢ The Gautam Adani-led Adani Enterprises had in February 2019 emerged as the highest bidders for AAI-operated
airports in Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Mangaluru, Thiruvananthapuram and Lucknow, which were put up for privatization
under the public private partnership (PPP) model.
- Which Fintech company has launched the Digital Acceleration for Small Businesses microsite across most of its Asia Pacific
websites _ Mastercard.
➢ The one-stop resource site provides information and resources for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to
digitize and operate their business more efficiently.
➢ Mastercard has partnered with Wix and Zoho to enhance the resources for SMEs.
- Which bank has launched ‘InstaFX’ App for Forex Partners to help customers of any bank to obtain Forex Prepaid Card
_ ICICI Bank.
➢ Called ‘InstaFX’, the app enables the authorised money changers, who are partners of the Bank, to complete the KYC
verification and validation of customers digitally and on a real-time basis.
➢ This facility significantly improves customer convenience as the ‘ICICI Bank Forex Prepaid Card’ gets activated
swiftly within a few hours, as against the industry practice of up to two-days.
- Which bank has entered into a co-lending arrangement with IIFL Home Finance Ltd to extend credit to MSME loans
_ Standard Chartered Bank.
➢ Under this partnership, IIFL Home Finance and the Standard Chartered Bank will co-originate these loans and the
IIFL Home Finance will service the customers through the entire loan life-cycle including sourcing, documentation,
collection and loan servicing.
➢ Definitive agreements for the said co-lending arrangement had been executed between the IIFL Home Finance and
Standard Chartered Bank on 16 January 2021.
- Which Bank has launched ‘AURA’, a credit card with health and wellness benefits at an affordable price for its individual
users __ Axis Bank.
➢ The features of the card is powered by Poshvine , Decathlon, Practo, Fitternity, IndushealthPlus, 1MG etc.,
➢ The aim of the card is to provide complete health and wellness solutions to its users.
➢ Cardholders will can get discount on annual medical checkup through IndushealthPlus.
- Which payments bank has partnered with Suryoday Small Finance Bank (SFB) Ltd to enable its account holders to avail
Fixed Deposit (FD) services _ Paytm Payments Bank.
The payments bank has already been offering fixed deposits service in collaboration with IndusInd Bank with a
minimum investment of Rs. 100.
➢ With the partnership with Suryoday SFB the Paytm Payments Bank has become the 1st payments bank in India to
launch the multi-partner FD service.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has given approval to the deal between Future Group and which
industry, where Future group will sell its retail, wholesale, logistics and warehouse businesses to Reliance Retail for Rs
24,713 crore _ Reliance retail Ltd.
➢ This deal was earlier approved by Competition Commission of India(CCI).
➢ This acquisition is part of the scheme in which Future Group is merging certain companies carrying on the above
said businesses into Future Enterprises Limited (FEL).
➢ The retail & wholesale undertaking will be transferred to Reliance Retail and the Fashion Lifestyle Limited (RRFLL),
a wholly-owned subsidiary of RRVL.
- Which Payments Bank has launched ‘Safe Pay’ a safe way to pay digitally to protect Airtel customers from the growing
incidents of online payment frauds __ Airtel Payments Bank.
➢ With ‘Airtel Safe Pay’, Airtel customers making UPI or net banking-based payments through Airtel Payments Bank,
no longer have to worry about money flowing out of their accounts without their explicit consent.
➢ An India-First innovation, ‘Airtel Safe Pay’ leverages Airtel’s ‘telco exclusive’ strength of network intelligence to
provide an additional layer of payment validation, compared to the industry norm of two-factor authentication.
- As per the latest World Economic Outlook released by International Monetary Fund (IMF) the Indian Economy will grow
by what percent in the FY 2021-22 __ 11.5 per cent.
➢ India is the only major economy forecast to grow in double digits next year and forecast to follow that up with the
highest 6.8% rise in the FY23 fiscal.
➢ The latest forecast for India’s FY22 gross domestic product (GDP) marks an upward revision from the 8.8% growth
the IMF had estimated in its last assessment in October.
- As per the ‘World Economic Situation and Prospects 2021’, produced by the United Nations Department of Economic and
Social Affairs (UN DESA), India’s economy is projected to grow at what per cent in 2021 __ 7.3 per cent.
➢ The World Economic Situation and Prospects 2021, produced by the United Nations Department of Economic and
Social Affairs (UN DESA), said the world economy was hit by a once-in-a-century crisis a Great Disruption
unleashed by the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020.
➢ The global economy shrank by 4.3 per cent last year, over two-and-a-half times more than during the global
financial crisis of 2009. The modest recovery of 4.7 per cent expected in 2021 would barely offset the losses of
- Global financial services major HSBC has inaugurated its International Banking Unit (IBU) branch in which state __
➢ HSBC is one of the earliest global financial institutions setting up a branch at India’s GIFT City and was the first
bank to get a licence from the newly set up International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA), said a
release by the company.
➢ HSBC’s IBU branch at Gujarat International Finance Tec City (GIFT City) will be operational for customer
transactions with effect from January 27.
- With which entity the government of India has signed a strategic partnership agreement to strengthen cooperation in
global energy security, stability and sustainability __ International Energy Agency (IEA).
This partnership will lead to an extensive exchange of knowledge and would be a stepping stone towards India
becoming a full member of IEA.
➢ The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by Power Secretary Sanjiv Nandan Sahai and IEA Executive
Director Fatih Birol.
- Which company has ranked first most-valued IT services brand globally, according to a report by Brand Finance __
➢ According to a report by Brand Finance, Accenture retained the title of world’s most valuable and strongest IT
services brand with a record brand value of $26 billion, while IBM continued at the second place with brand value
of $16.1 billion
- According to a report by Brand Finance, Indian IT firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) ranked at what place __
➢ Four Indian IT services companies — TCS, Infosys, HCL and Wipro — secured spots in the top-10 global tally.
➢ TCS has celebrated strong revenue growth as demand grows for its core transformation services and through
winning deals – worth over $6.8 billion in the fourth quarter of 2020 alone.
- What amount India has pledged UN peacebuilding as a token of engagement _ USD 1,50,000.
➢ On India’s peacebuilding efforts at UN, ambassador Tirumurti said, “As the world’s largest democracy, we are
conscious of the need to prioritize the building of governance structure to strengthen democracy and the rule of
➢ India also recognizes the critical role played by women and youth in peacebuilding activities. Strengthening
security structures go hand in hand with strengthening civilian structures of good governance.”
- In accordance with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data, overseas investment by domestic firms fell by over _ 42%.
➢ Of the total FDI investment, USD 775.41 million was in the form of equity infusion, USD 382.91 million was in the
form of loan, and USD 287.63 million was in the form of issuance of guarantee.
➢ In November 2020, the total outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) was also trimmed by 27% to USD 1.06
billion as compared to October 2020.
- Which general insurance company has launched Krishi Sakha App, a one-stop-shop for Indian farmers that offers them
relevant information to cater their daily farming needs __________Bharti AXA General Insurance.
➢ The farmers through this app will also have access to the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) portal for
crop insurance related information.
➢ The aim of it is to empower farmers and educate them to enhance their farming knowledge and productivity.
- As per the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)’s recent Economic Outlook Survey, India’s
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is expected to contract by __ 8 per cent.
➢ The survey projected the Fiscal deficit for 2020-21 at 5%.
➢ It also expects the Indian economy will perform better and have a median GDP growth rate of 9.6% for the financial
year 2021-22, with a minimum growth and maximum growth at 7.5%and 12.5% respectively.
- The government has approved closure of which loss-making state-owned firm _ Scooters India Limited.
➢ In a BSE filing, Scooters India said the Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises has communicated that
the competent authority has approved the closure. It has also cleared seeking a loan (with interest) of ₹ 65.12 crore
required for the closure from the Government of India.
➢ The Scooters India brand name shall be sold separately as the company holds famous brands such as Lambretta,
Vijai Super, Vikram and Lambro.
- According to the report titled “World Economic Situation and Prospects 2021” by the United Nations Department of
Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA), the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of India in FY 2020-21 is estimated to contract
by _ 9.6 per cent.
➢ This projection is highest among major economies of the world.
➢ On the global front, the economy is contracted by 4.3%(-4.3%) in 2020 but it projected a recovery of 4.7% in 2021.
➢ Earlier, International Labour Organization (ILO) also released its 7th edition of report title “ILO Monitor: COVID-19
and the world of work” which states that in 2020, the world faced a job loss of 255 million jobs where South Asia
accounted for 80 million.
- According to the Futures Industry Association (FIA), which stock exchange remained the world’s largest derivatives
exchange for the second consecutive year in 2020 in terms of number of contracts traded __ National Stock
Exchange of India.
➢ In addition, the bourse has been ranked fourth in the world in cash equities by number of trades by the World
Federation of Exchanges (WFE) for calendar year 2020.
➢ In the capital market segment, NSE has listed T-bills (Treasury Bills) and SDLs (State Development Loans)
facilitating investors to transact in these securities, in addition to the existing dated Government Securities (G-sec)
available for trading.
- Renowned personality Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan passed away recently, he was a veteran __ Classical Musician.
➢ Born on March 3, 1931 in Badaun in Uttar Pradesh, Khan was the eldest son in a family of four brothers and three
➢ His father, Ustad Waris Hussain Khan was the son of celebrated musician Ustad Murred Baksh, while his mother,
Sabri Begum, was the daughter of Ustad Inayat Husain Khan, credited as the founder of the Rampur-Sahaswan
gharana of music.
➢ Khan got his basic classical music training from his father and later studied music under his cousin, Ustad Nissar
- Renowned personality Dr V Shanta passed away recently, she was a famous __ Oncologist.
➢ Dr V Shanta was known for her work on cancer care and for building the Cancer Institute with her mentor.
➢ The institute is known for providing state-of-the-art health care to all patients, irrespective of their economic
➢ Dr V Shanta’s work won several awards, including the Magsaysay Award, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, and Padma
Vibhushan. Dr Shanta was active till her hospitalisation.
- Name the Co-founder of Precision Automation and Robotics India (PARI) who passed away recently __ Mangesh
➢ Kale had set up the company along with Ranjit Date in 1990.
➢ PARI, which is a leading provider of turnkey solutions in industrial and robotic automation was sold to Wipro
Infrastructure for an undisclosed sum in December 2020.
➢ Anand Deshpande, founder of Persistent Systems, another Pune-headquartered firm tweeted saying this was a
great personal loss.
- Renowned personality Kamal Morarka has passed away recently he was a veteran _ Industrialist and Union
The 74-year-old leader, a businessman who was also a former BCCI vice president. He was incumbent president of
Samajwadi Janata Party (Chandra Shekhar). He was elected to Rajya Sabha in 1988.
- Renowned politician Mata Prasad passed away recently, he was former governor of which state _________Arunachal
➢ Former Arunachal Governor Mata Prasad has passed away at the age of 95. He served as minister in the Congress
government in Uttar Pradesh in 1988- 89 and appointed as Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in 1993.
- Renowned personality Unnikrishnan Namboothiri has passed recently, he was veteran __ Actor.
➢ The actor, who had charmed viewers with his benevolent grandfather roles, died a day after it was reported that he
had recovered from COVID-19.
➢ The actor had started his career in the 1990s when he was well over 70 years of age. But his performances have
seeped into the psyche of cinema lovers. Some of his notable works are Kaliyattam, Kalyana Raman,
Madhuranombarakattu, Pokkiri Raja and Rappakal.
- Renowned personality Cloris Leachman passed away recently, she was a veteran __ Actor.
➢ A character actor of extraordinary range, Leachman defied typecasting. In her early television career, she appeared
as Timmy’s mother on the “Lassie” series. She played a frontier prostitute in “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,”
a crime spree family member in “Crazy Mama,” and Blucher in Mel Brooks’ “Young Frankenstein,” in which the very
mention of her name drew equine commentary.
- Larry King, iconic radio and television host, who passed away hailed from which country _ USA.
➢ The company he co-founded, Ora Media, did not state a cause of death but media reports said King had been
battling Covid-19 for weeks and had suffered several health problems in recent years.
- Renowned personality Narendra Chanchal passed away recently, he was a veteran __ Bhajan singer.
➢ He sang a Bollywood song Beshak Mandir Masjid for the 1973 film Bobby and won Filmfare Best Male Playback
➢ Some of his ever-popular bhajans include Chalo Bulawa Aaya Hai, Tune Mujhe Bulaya Sherawaliye, Ambe Tu Hai
Jagadambe Kali, Hanuman Chalisa, Sankat Mochan Naam Tiharo, Ram Se Bada Ram Ka Naam among others.
- Renowned sportsperson Prasanta Dora passed away, he was associated with which sports __ Football.
➢ He was represented Tollygunge Agragami, Calcutta Port Trust, Mohammedan Sporting, Mohun Bagan and East
Bengal in domestic football.
➢ He has also adjudged the Best Goalkeeper when Bengal lifted back-to-back Santosh Trophy titles in 1997-98 and
- What is the theme of the ‘Swachhata Pakhwada’ organized by the ‘National Cadet Corps, NCC at India Gate, New Delhi
_ ‘Clean India, Green India, Yeh Hai Mera Dream India’.
➢ The event was inaugurated by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar.
➢ The theme of this Swachhata Pakhwada is ‘Clean India, Green India, Yeh Hai Mera Dream India’.
➢ During the Swachhata Pakhwada the NCC cadets will keep Rajpath clean for the Republic Day Parade – 2021 by
spreading awareness through displaying banners, distribution of pamphlets and showcasing Swachhata through
- The government of India has decided to celebrate ‘Parakram Diwas’ every year on which date the birth anniversary of
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose __ 23rd January.
➢ The Day will be mark to honour and remember Netaji’s indomitable spirit and selfless service to the nation.
➢ The Government of India has decided to celebrate the 125th birth anniversary year of Netaji beginning from
January 2021 in befitting manner at national and international level.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) Raising Day celebrated every year on which date __ 19th January.
➢ The NDRF came into existence on January 19, 2006.
➢ The specialised task force has been constituted for “special response to a threatening disaster situation or a
➢ National Disaster Management Authority is the parent body of the NDRF. Located at 12 different locations in the
country, there are 12 NDRF battalions.
- National Girl Child Day in India is celebrated every year on _ 24th January.
➢ National Girl Child day 2021 is being celebrated across the country with the objective of raising awareness on the
issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
➢ The celebrations will also mark the anniversary of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
- International Day of Education is observed every year on which date _ 24th January.
➢ Every year, International Education Day is celebrated with a unique theme. Considering the COVID-19 pandemic,
this year’s theme for International Education Day is “Recover and Revitalize Education for the COVID-19
- The National Voters Day is observed every year on which date _________25th January.
➢ The Election Commission was founded in 1950 on this day. The occasion was first celebrated in 2011.
➢ This year’s theme is “Making Our Voters Empowered, Vigilant, Safe and Informed”. One focus this year is
highlighting the EC’s feat of running elections safely during the pandemic.
- National Tourism Day is observed every year on which date in India _________25th January.
➢ It is not known when exactly this day came about. However, in 1948, a Tourist Traffic Committee was formed to
promote tourism. The first regional offices of the same were established in Delhi and Mumbai. Three years later, in
1951, more offices were added in Kolkata and Chennai.
- International Customs Day (ICD) is celebrated every year on which date _ 26th January.
➢ It is the day designated to honour the custom officials and agencies for their function in taking care of the flow of
goods across the world borders.
➢ 2021 will witness the theme of “Customs bolstering recovery, renewal and resilience” which will focus on the
endeavours of customs to emerge from the pandemic crisis and help people.
- ‘Data Privacy Day’ is observed every year on which date to create awareness and promote privacy and data protection
_ 28th January.
➢ The main motto is to enhance awareness among businesses and users about protecting the privacy of their
personal information online.
➢ Recently there has been a hue and cry from different sections of people when WhatsApp has announced data
transfer of its users to it’ parent organisation the Facebook.
- Every year, Martyrs’ Day is observed on ______30th January.
➢ The day is marked the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, known as the father of the nation, across the country.
➢ Martyrs’ Day or ‘Shaheed Diwas’ aims to pay tribute to the freedom fighters who lost their lives fighting for the
freedom, welfare and progress of our nation.
- Nazhat Shameem Khan has been elected as president of UN Human Rights Council in an unprecedented secret ballot, she is
an ambassador of which country to the UN body _ Fiji.
➢ The island nation’s ambassador in Geneva, Nazhat Shameem Khan, beat off competition from Bahrain and
Uzbekistan to lead the only intergovernmental global body to promote and protect human rights worldwide.
➢ Khan, who served as the council’s vice president in 2020 and is considered a rights champion, won with 29 out of
➢ Bahrain’s ambassador and his Uzbek counterpart received 14 and four votes, respectively.
- Who has been appointed as the chairman of Telecom Equipment and Services Export Promotion Council (TEPC) _
➢ Aggarwal, the Managing Director and Promoter of Delhi-based Paramount Communications, will take over from
➢ TEPC is an independent body set up by the government to promote and develop the export of telecom equipment
➢ Aggarwal is also the Chief Mentor of PHDCCI’s Telecom Committee, besides being the Chairman of Telecom
Equipment Manufacturers Association (TEMA) and President of Railway Cable Development Association.
- Who has been appointed as the Chairman of the Somnath Temple Trust _ Narendra Modi.
➢ He becomes the second Prime Minister who has been appointed the chairman of the temple trust after former PM
➢ As per trust records, PM Modi has become the eighth chairman of the trust.
➢ The post of the Somnath Trust’s chairman fell vacant after the death of the incumbent, former Gujarat Chief
Minister Keshubhai Patel, in October last year.
- Who has been assigned the additional charge of the Ministry of AYUSH during the hospitalization and treatment of AYUSH
Minister Shripad Naik following a road accident _ Kiren Rijiju.
➢ The move was necessitated as Shripad Yesso Naik, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of
Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) was undergoing treatment at a hospital
➢ Mr Naik, 68, was admitted to the hospital on January 12 after he met with an accident while on his way back to Goa
- Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the RBL Bank for three years
__ Vishwavir Ahuja.
➢ The bank has recommended this re-appointment to the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) for approval.
He has been the MD& CEO of RBL bank since June 30, 2010.
➢ Earlier to joining RBL Bank in July 2010, he was the MD & CEO of Bank of America, India from 2001 to 2009.
- Who has been appointed as the new Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Telecommunications Consultants India
Limited (TCIL) __ Sanjeev Kumar.
➢ According to an order from the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT), Kumar has been appointed to the post
for a period of five years from the date of assumption of the charge of the post, or till the age of superannuation, or
until further orders, whichever is earlier.
➢ He is currently serving as Director (Technical) in Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL).
- Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of India’s largest insurer Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) __
➢ Currently, he is serving as the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of LIC Housing Finance.
➢ He will serve as the MD of LIC till his superannuation on June 30, 2023.
➢ Mohanty will be replacing TC Suseel Kumar, who is set to retire on January 31, 2021.
- Who has been appointed to the 20-members High-Level Advisory Board of United Nations that will provide
recommendations for the U.N. Secretary-General to respond to the current and future socio-economic challenges in the
post-COVID-19 world __ Jayati Ghosh.
➢ Ghosh, 65, is a professor of economics at University of Massachusetts Amherst. She has taught economics at
Jawaharlal Nehru University for nearly 35 years and has authored several books.
➢ The UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) announced that the 20 “prominent personalities,
globally renowned for their intellectual leadership in economic and social fields, will form the second United
Nations High-level Advisory Board (HLAB) on Economic and Social Affairs.”
- Who has been appointed as the new chairperson of Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) __ Justice Gita
➢ Justice Mittal succeeds former Supreme Court Judge, Justice Vikramajit Sen, whose tenure as BCCC chairperson has
➢ Having served as the first woman Chief Justice of Jammu & Kashmir High Court, she is also the first woman
chairperson of BCCC.
- J K Shivan has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD & CEO) of which bank __
➢ It may be recalled that the shareholders of the Kerala-based had voted against MD & CEO Sunil Gurbaxani On
September 30, 2020. Then, in December that year, the lender appointed Shivan as the new MD & CEO.
➢ However, the banking regulator, Reserve Bank of India (RBI), had asked the Dhanlaxmi Bank Board to get
shareholders’ approval before appointing J K Shivan as the next chief of the bank.
- Whose appointment as treasury secretary has been confirmed by the US Senate _ Janet Yellen.
➢ Yellen steps into the role with some advantages: She is well known and well respected among lawmakers of both
parties, and she has experience with enormous economic challenges.
➢ The 74-year-old previously broke barriers as the first female Fed chief.
- Who has been sworn in as the new U.S. Secretary of State __ Antony Blinken.
➢ Blinken will become America’s top diplomat as the world confronts a confluence of threats: the COVID-19
pandemic, climate change and a great-power competition that increasingly pits the United States against China on
trade, technology and other issues.
➢ Blinken will be charged with unraveling much of President Donald Trump’s foreign policy, which made even some
of his most ardent Republican supporters squeamish.
- Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa has been re-elected as the president of which country _ Portugal.
➢ He belongs to Social Democratic Party (Partido Social Democrata-PSD)
➢ He was elected as the president for 1st term in 2016.
➢ He was one of the founders of the People’s Democratic Party, later the Social Democratic Party, and was party
leader from 31 March 1996 to 27 May 1999.
- Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director of State Bank of India (SBI) for a period of 3 years __
➢ Swaminathan Janakiraman was serving as the deputy MD(finance) of SBI.
➢ Ashwini Kumar Tewari was serving as MD and Chief Executive Officer(CEO)of SBI Card, a subsidiary of SBI.
➢ The Banks Board Bureau (BBB) in October 2020 recommended their names for post of MD at SBI.
- Kaja Kallas has been appointed as the first female Prime Minister which country _ Estonia.
➢ She succeeds Jüri Ratas. She is the leader of the Reform party.
➢ The 15-member Cabinet of Prime Minister Kaja Kallas is a coalition of 2 parties namely, Reform Party & Centre
- Thomas Bach re-elected second term as President of which International Organisation until 2025 _ International
➢ Bach, a 66-year-old German lawyer, is set to be confirmed for a second and final four-year term at an IOC session in
March in Athens.
➢ Bach was initially elected for an eight-year term as Olympic chief in September 2013, taking over from Belgian
Jacques Rogge. If re-elected, Bach’s term will end in 2025, a year after the Paris Olympics.
Honor & Awards
- Who has been honoured by the Hindi Writers Guild, Canada for his literary work __ Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
➢ Nishank was conferred with the “Sahitya Gaurav Samman” in the presence of the Governor through a virtual
➢ India’s High Commissioner in Canada Ajay Bisaria was also present on the occasion.
- Who has been conferred with Quaide Milleth Awards 2021 _ Bilkis dadi.
➢ Dadi was the face of the Shaheen Bagh anti-CAA protests.
➢ Both were awarded for Probity in Political and Public Life at the India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi.
➢ The award consists of a shawl, citation and cash of ₹2.5 lakh.
- Who has been chosen for ‘Press Club Person of the Year’ given by the Press Club of Bangalore _ Azim Premji.
The founder chairman of Narayana Health Dr Devi Prasad Shetty and actor-Director Sudeep Sanjeev have been
selected for the ‘Press Club Special Award.’
➢ Besides them 25 senior journalists have been selected for the ‘Press Club Annual Awards’.
➢ Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa will facilitate the awardees at a function scheduled for the third week of February.
- Who has been conferred with ‘Indian Personality of the Year’ at International Film Festival of India (IFFI) _ Biswajit
➢ The Award has been announced at the opening ceremony of the festival, by Union Minister for Information &
Broadcasting, Shri Prakash Javadekar.
➢ Biswajit Chatterjee is known for his roles of Kumar Vijay Singh in Bees Saal Baad, Raja Amit Kumar Singh in Kohra,
Ashok in April Fool, Ramesh Kumar in Mere Sanam, Jeevan in Night In London, Shekhar in Do Kaliyaan and Vicky in
- Who has been named as the Business Standard Banker of the year for 2019-20 _________Shyam Srinivasan.
➢ Shyam Srinivasan, managing director and chief executive officer (CEO) of Federal Bank has been named as Business
Standard Banker of the Year for 2019-20 for his bank’s consistent healthy performance at a time when most of its
peers witnessed large stress on asset quality, registered losses, or even invited regulatory actions.
➢ The unanimous decision was taken by a high-profile jury of five, chaired by former Reserve Bank of India deputy
governor S S Mundra.
- Who became the 1st woman fighter pilot to take part in the Republic Day parade ________Bhawana Kanth.
➢ She was a part of the Indian Air Force’s tableau in the 2021 Republic Day Parade that will showcase mock-ups of
the light combat helicopter, light combat aircraft, and the Sukhoi-30 fighter plane.
- Which institution has been conferred with the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2021 award for their
contribution in disaster management _ Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society (SEEDS).
➢ The award is announced every year on January 23, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. The
award carries a cash prize of ₹51 lakh and a certificate in case of an institution and ₹five lakh and a certificate in
case of an individual.
➢ The award is given to recognise and honour the invaluable contribution and selfless service rendered by
individuals and organisations in India in the field of disaster management by the central government.
- Nikhil Srivastava from India has been named winner of the prestigious 2021 Michael and Sheila Held Prize along with two
others. The prize was given to him in which field _________Mathematics.
➢ Srivastava from the University of California, Berkeley, Adam Marcus, the Ecole polytechnique federale de Lausanne
(EPFL) and Daniel Alan Spielman from Yale University will receive the 2021 Michael and Sheila Held Prize, the
National Academy of Sciences said in the statement.
➢ The prize consists of a medal and USD 100,000.
- Who has been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for excellent work in Disaster
Management _________Rajendra Kumar Bhandari.
➢ Union Home Ministry announced the award every year on 23rd January, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash
Chandra Bose. The award carries a cash prize of 51 lakh rupees and a certificate in case of an institution and five
lakh rupees and a certificate in case of an individual.
➢ Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society, SEEDS has done commendable work in building
community resilience to disasters.
- Who has won the women’s singles title at the Thailand Open Super 1000 badminton tournament held in Bangkok __
➢ Marin, 27, beat Chinese Taipei’s top seed Tai Tzu Ying in straight games in an ominous display of form as she
prepares to defend her Olympic title later in the year in Tokyo.
➢ Tai was limited to a single digit score in the first game and while she fought hard in the second, Marin ended up
winning the match 21-9, 21-16.
- Who has won the men’s singles title at the Thailand Open Super 1000 badminton tournament held in Bangkok __
➢ Axelsen, meanwhile, recorded his second consecutive tournament win with a 21-14, 21-14 win over Hong Kong’s
Angus Ng Ka Long. Axelsen had earlier won the All England Open Championship in March.
➢ Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu beat Thailand’s Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Prajongjai
21-15, 21-12 to win the women’s doubles final.
- Which country will host the AFC Women’s Asian Cup in 2022 _________India.
➢ The tournament will feature 12 teams, expanded from eight in the previous edition, comprising three groups of
four with a minimum of 25 matches being played over 18 days. Eight teams will qualify for the newly-introduced
➢ The event will also serve as a qualification tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, which will see a
record five Asian teams seal their spots to join co-host Australia for the newly-expanded 32-team global showpiece.
- Which team won the Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI)’s 10th National Ice Hockey Championship trophy held at
Gulmarg ________Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
➢ The match was held at Gulmarg Ice Rink.
➢ Teams from Delhi, Maharashtra, Indian Army also participated in the tournament, said ITBP.
➢ Top teams of Ice Hockey in India participated in the Championship organized from January 16 to 22, 2021.
- Who has become the first recipient of the iconic Mullagh Medal __ Ajinkya Rahane.
➢ He is the first recipient of the iconic medal which is named after former Australian skipper and cricket Johnny
➢ Rahane scored 112 runs in the first innings and helped India reach a total of 326 runs in the first innings.
Books and Authors
- Who has authored the book titled ‘Manohar Parrikar -Off the Record’ _ Waman Subha Prabhu.
➢ The book has been written by senior journalist Waman Subha Prabhu.
➢ The book ‘Manohar Parrikar- Off the Record’ is a collection of memories of Mr Prabhu who happened to be with late
Parrikar during the journey of his life.
➢ In the book the author has endeavored to narrate multi-faceted personality of late Manohar Parrikar.
- Who has authored the book titled “The Making of Aadhaar: World’s Largest Identity Platform” __ Ram Sewak
Sharma begins by summing up his experiences during various bureaucratic postings in Jharkhand, ranging from
streamlining personnel records and digitising public grievances to managing election logistics — all using
innovative digital means.
➢ The learnings from these episodes proved to be the building blocks of the Aadhaar project.
- The Maharashtra government has renamed Gorewada International Zoo in Nagpur after __ Balasaheb Thackeray.
➢ The zoological park will come up on nearly 2,000 hectares forest land.
➢ Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate the Indian safari at the zoo on January 26.
➢ Three special 40-seat capacity vehicles and an online ticket booking facility will be made available to the people as
soon after the Indian safari is inaugurated.
- Who has authored the book titled ‘Flying Blind: India’s Quest for Global Leadership’ ________Mohamed Zeeshan.
➢ The book is published by Penguin Random House.
➢ The book describes the difficulties that stand has an obstacle to the current India’s foreign policy, each of which
have led to many instabilities in the foreign policy practice, which in turn has affected India’s interests.
➢ It tries to explain why the ordinary Indian citizen should care about foreign policy and how a more proactive
foreign policy can deliver economic growth at home.
- Who has authored the book titled “Ten Lessons for a Post–Pandemic World” __________Fareed Zakaria.
➢ The book published by Penguin book speaks about the nature of the post pandemic world and the social, political,
technological and economical effects that may take years to develop.
➢ The book with 10 lessons includes the acceleration of natural and biological risk, datedness of the political
categories, the rise of digital life, globalization and the developing world order split between US and China.
- Who has authored the book titled “India 2030: The Rise of a Rajasic Nation” ________Gautam Chikermane.
➢ The book features 20 themes on various fields ranging from education to healthcare, science, energy, politics and
foreign policy, that predicts the evolution of India in this decade.
➢ The book showcases the numerous aspects of the future that will result in India becoming the world’s 3rd largest
economy and regional power.
➢ This book will act as a roadmap for policymakers and guide for scholars.
- Who has authored the book titled “The Law of Emergency Powers: Comparative Common Law Perspectives” ________Dr.
Abhishek Singhvi & Prof. Khagesh Gautam.
➢ It presents a detailed study on legal and constitutional provisions of Emergency powers under Article 356.
➢ It also includes detailed discussions on Martial law, wartime & peacetime invocations, Constitutional & statutory
➢ The book also compares the emergency powers of India, USA & UK.
- Who authored the book titled “The Language of History: Sanskrit Narratives of Muslim Pasts” _______Audrey Truschke.
➢ Published by Penguin India, the book, The Language of History: Sanskrit Narratives of Muslim Pasts, seeks to
collect, analyse, and theorize Sanskrit histories of Muslim-led and, later, as Muslims became an integral part of
Indian cultural and political worlds, Indo-Muslim rule as a body of historical materials.
Science and Defence
- Which defence manufacturing company of India has signed an agreement with European defence company Thales to
manufacture STARStreak Air Defence System in India __ Bharat Dynamics Limited.
➢ The Teaming Agreement was signed at a virtual ceremony held on 13 January 2021.
➢ BDL will become a part of the STARStreak global supply chain, providing the opportunity for export of the system
to existing and future STARStreak Air Defence customers, including the UK Armed Forces through this agreement.
➢ BDL, as a part of its Global Outreach, is endeavouring to forge alliance with foreign companies to take the “Make in
India” mission further.
- Name the Motor Bikes ambulances that have been created on 350cc Royal Enfield Classic bikes by the Institute of Nuclear
Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS) _ Rakshita.
➢ It was developed by DRDO lab Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), New Delhi.
➢ It is a bike-based casualty transport emergency vehicle.
➢ The customised ‘Rakshita’ ambulances have been created on 350cc Royal Enfield Classic bikes.
➢ Rakshita is fitted with a customized reclining Casualty Evacuation Seat (CES).
- Joint military exercise ‘Ex-Desert Knight 21’ is to be conducted between India and which country _ France.
➢ It is expected to see Rafale jets of the two countries engaging in complex maneuvers to enhance operational
➢ The aim of the exercise is to provide operational exposure and share best practices towards enhancing combat
➢ Both the air forces will deploy frontline fighter jets as well as transport, and tanker aircraft in the exercise.
- The Union Government has decided to export which missile to friendly foreign countries __ Akash.
➢ The decision to export the missile systems was taken at a Cabinet meeting presided by Prime Minister Narendra
➢ The Akash missile systems have over 96 per cent indigenous components and the weapon can hit targets at a range
- A Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) successfully test fired from which aircraft for the first time by the Hindustan
Aeronautics Limited (HAL) _________Hawk-I.
➢ It is the first smart weapon to be fired from an Indian Hawk Mk132 trainer aircraft.
➢ The company-owned Hawk-I platform is being extensively used for certification of systems and weapons developed
indigenously by DRDO and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research labs.
- Which Armed Force has signed an MoU with Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers to provide further impetus to
indigenisation under the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ _________Indian Army.
➢ Collaboration between the Indian Army and industry started in 1995 with the indigenisation of spares and has
progressed to major defence platforms and a wide range of weapons and equipment.
➢ The MoU has been signed to provide further impetus to indigenisation under the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and to
achieve strategic independence by reducing dependence on foreign origin equipment.
- A large-scale tri-service joint amphibious exercise AMPHEX – 21 was conducted in __________Andaman & Nicobar.
➢ The exercise involved participation of Naval ships, amphibious troops of the Army and different types of aircraft
from the Air force.
➢ The exercise was aimed at validating India’s capabilities to safeguard the territorial integrity of it’s island
➢ It also sought to enhance operational synergy and joint warfighting capabilities amongst the three Services.
- Which space organization successfully created a New World Record by launching 143 Satellites in a single mission
➢ With this, SpaceX bettered Indian Space Research Organization’s (ISRO) record of deploying 104 satellites in a
single mission in February 2017.
➢ The Launch is also the first dedicated mission for SpaceX under SmallSat ‘Rideshare’ program called Transporter-1.
➢ With the launch of the satellites, SpaceX is planning to provide Global broadband internet coverage by 2021.