Details of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana: The scheme will be a one-year cover, renewable from year to year, Accident Insurance Scheme offering accidental death and disability cover for death or disability on account of an accident. The scheme would be offered/administered through Public Sector General Insurance Companies (PSGICs) and other General Insurance companies willing to offer the product on similar terms with necessary approvals and tie up with Banks for this purpose. Participating banks will be free to engage any such insurance company for implementing the scheme for their subscribers.
The PMSBY Scheme provides an insurance policy to the people belonging to the underprivileged sections of society. The scheme is administered by insurance companies from both the private and public sectors.
Scope of coverage: All savings bank account holders in the age 18 to 70 years in participating banks will be entitled to join. In case of multiple saving bank accounts held by an individual in one or different banks, the person would be eligible to join the scheme through one savings bank account only. Aadhar would be the primary KYC for the bank account.
Other Govt Schemes and Yojnas:
- Digital Health ID Card: Apply Online, Benefits, Registration
- Dowry Prohibition Act 1961- History & Provisions
- AZADI KA AMRUT MAHOTSAV 2021-23 | 75 years of India’s Independence
- THE INSOLVENCY AND BANKRUPTCY CODE (AMENDMENT) Act, 2021
- PM KUSUM SCHEME- Details
- National monetization pipeline Scheme
Enrollment Modality / Period:
The cover shall be for the one year period stretching from 1st June to 31st May for which option to join / pay by auto-debit from the designated savings bank account on the prescribed forms will be required to be given by 31st May
of every year, extendable up to 31st August 2015 in the initial year. Initially on launch, the period for joining may be extended by Govt. of India for another three months, i.e. up to 30th of November, 2015.
Joining subsequently on payment of full annual premium may be possible on specified terms. However, applicants may give an indefinite / longer option for enrolment / auto-debit, subject to continuation of the scheme with terms as may be revised on the basis of past experience. Individuals who exit the scheme at any point may re-join the scheme in future years through the above modality. New entrants into the eligible category from year to year or currently eligible individuals who did not join earlier shall be able to join in future years while the scheme is continuing.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna
The benefits given according to the PMSBY is as per the table given below, the insurer will receive the following benefits:
|Table of Benefits||Sum Insured|
|Death||Rs 2 Lakh|
|Total and irrecoverable loss of both eyes or loss of use|
of both hands or feet or loss of sight of one eye and
loss of use of hand or foot
|Rs 2 Lakh|
|Total and irrecoverable loss of sight of one eye or loss|
of use of one hand or foot
|Rs 1 Lakh|
Premium Charged to the Applicant for PMSBY
- Rs.12/- per annum per member. The premium will be deducted from the account holder’s savings bank account through ‘auto debit’ facility in one installment on or before 1st June of each annual coverage period under the scheme. However, in cases where auto debit takes place after 1st June, the cover shall commence from the first day of the month following the auto debit.
- The premium would be reviewed based on annual claims experience. However, barring unforeseen adverse outcomes of extreme nature, efforts would be made to ensure that there is no upward revision of premium in the first three years.
The savings bank account holders of the participating banks aged between 18 years (completed) and 70 years (age nearer birthday) who give their consent to join/enable auto-debit, as per the above modality, will be enrolled into the scheme.
Termination of cover:
The accident cover for the member shall terminate on any of the following events and no benefit will be payable thereunder:
- On attaining age 70 years (age nearest birth day).
- Closure of account with the Bank or insufficiency of balance to keep the insurance in force.
- In case a member is covered through more than one account and premium is received by the Insurance Company inadvertently, insurance cover will be restricted to one only and the premium shall be liable to be forfeited.
- If the insurance cover is ceased due to any technical reasons such as insufficient balance on due date or due to any administrative issues, the same can be reinstated on receipt of full annual premium, subject to conditions that may be laid down. During this period, the risk cover will be suspended and reinstatement of risk cover will be at the sole discretion of Insurance Company.
- Participating banks will deduct the premium amount in the same month when the auto debit option is given, preferably in May of every year, and remit the amount due to the Insurance Company in that month itself.
Administration of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima yojana
- The scheme, subject to the above, will be administered as per the standard procedure stipulated by the Insurance Company. The data flow process and data proforma will be provided separately.
- It will be the responsibility of the participating bank to recover the appropriate annual premium from the account holders within the prescribed period through ‘auto-debit’ process.
- Enrollment form / Auto-debit authorization in the prescribed proforma shall be obtained and retained by the participating bank. In case of claim, the Insurance Company may seek submission of the same. Insurance Company reserves the right to call for these documents at any point of time.
- The acknowledgement slip may be made into an acknowledgement slip-cum-certificate of insurance.
- The experience of the scheme will be monitored on yearly basis for re-calibration etc., as may be necessary.
Appropriation of Premium:
1) Insurance Premium to Insurance Company: Rs.10/- per annum per member
2) Reimbursement of Expenses to BC/Micro/Corporate/Agent : Rs.1/- per annum per member
3) Reimbursement of Administrative expenses to participating Bank: Rs.1/- per annum per member
The proposed date of commencement of the scheme will be 1st June 2015. The next Annual renewal date shall be each successive 1st of June in subsequent years.
The scheme is liable to be discontinued prior to the commencement of a new future renewal date if circumstances so require.
In this article we have explained about Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana in detail, we have written in detail about PMSBY its benefits, application, Premium paid and Insurance amount covered. Stakeholders can read this complete article to know about Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for PMSBY
Q1. What is the nature of the scheme?
The scheme will be a one year cover Personal Accident Insurance Scheme, renewable
from year to year, offering protection against death or disability due to accident.
Q2. What would be the benefits under the scheme and premium payable?
Premium payable is Rs.12/- per annum per member. and Insurance cover is Rs 1-2 Lakh depending on the case. All the benefits are aforementioned in the Article.
Q3. How will the premium be paid?
The premium will be deducted from the account holder’s savings bank account through
‘auto debit’ facility in one installment, as per the option to be given on enrolment.
Members may also give a one-time mandate for auto-debit every year till the scheme is in
force, subject to re-calibration that may be deemed necessary on review of experience
of the scheme from year to year.
Q5. Who will be eligible to subscribe?
All savings bank account holders in the age 18 to 70 years in participating banks will be
entitled to join. In case of multiple saving bank accounts held by an individual in one or
different banks, the person would be eligible to join the scheme through one savings
bank account only.