Merchant Navy in India: Overview
Merchant Navy Exam details: A merchant navy or merchant marine or mercantile marine is the fleet of merchant’s vessels that are registered in a specific country. The merchant navy has no involvement in military service, but rather the shipping of cargo and people across sea routes aboard cargo ships, tankers, and cruise liners.
The maritime industry stands at the heart of global connections and economy as much of the world trade between nations is still carried out by marine trade routes. This field can be joined through different courses and is definitely the best career option.
Merchant Navy: RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Merchant Navy offers a wide range of opportunities that lead to lucrative and exciting careers. Merchant Navy Recruitment 2021.
- The eligibility for joining merchant navy is finishing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Candidates have to be unmarried Indian citizens (male or female).
- Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 may be allowed.
- Admission is through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination.
- After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test.
- You also need to complete a ship-training course prior to the employment. The course is generally short-term where the candidates are taught basic security concerns of voyaging.
Merchant Navy: ELIGIBILITY
This field can be joined through different courses and is definitely the best career option. Candidates can join Merchant Navy at any level starting after class 10 to graduation. BE/B Tech Marine Engineering (4 Years) is required.
- Minimum Age Limit is 17 years.
- Maximum Age Limit: 25 years
Merchant Navy: ENTRANCE EXAMS
This field can be joined through different courses and is definitely the best career option. Candidates can join Merchant Navy at any level starting after class 10th to graduation level. The below Entrance tests can be taken by the candidates who are aspiring to join Merchant Navy.
- IMU CET
- JEE Advanced
- MERI Entrance Exam
- TMI SAT
Merchant Navy: COURSES
There are various courses available for the Merchant Navy fields are:
|B.Tech Marine Engineering||B.Tech Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering|
|B.Tech Harbour & Ocean Engineering||G.P Rating|
|Marine Engineering under Alternate Training Scheme||BBA Shipping|
|M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management||Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)|
|MBA Shipping Finance||B.E Harbour and Ocean Engineering|
|Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME)||Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)|
|B.B.A. Logistics & Supply Chain Management||Higher National Diploma (Marine Engineering)|
|B.Tech Ship Building||B.E Marine Engineering|
|B.E. Mechanical Engineering||ETO (Electro-Technical Officer)|
|B.Sc Nautical Science||Electro-Technical Officer Course|
Merchant Navy: SALARY
Now let’s have a look at Merchant Navy Salary in India, Merchant Navy Salary is based on the various profiles.
|Merchant Navy Profile||Qualification||Merchant Navy Salary 2020 (approx.)|
|G P Rating||Class 10||Rs. 25,000 to 60,000 per month|
|Trainee Cadet||Class 12 along with pre-sea Nautical Diploma||Rs. 25,000 to 85,000 per month|
|Deck Cadet||Class 12 along with pre-sea Nautical Diploma||Rs. 25,000 to 85,000 per month|
|3rd Officer/ Merchant navy 2nd officer salary in india||2nd Mate (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 1,50,000 to 3,00,000 per month|
|Chief Officer||1st Mate (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 4,00,000 to 6,00,000 per month|
|Merchant Navy Captain salary per month||Master (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 8,65,000 to 20,00,000 per month|
HOW TO JOIN MERCHANT NAVY
- After 10th, You can join as GP rating.
- After passing 12th (Science only), you can either choose a career as deck officer or a marine engineer
- Mechanical engineering graduates can join as Marine engineer after doing 12 months course in approved institute.
- A student who passes his 10+2 exams and must spend at least another 4 years in college to become eligible for a job in the particular field.
Hope this article helped you to get a clear insight about Merchant Navy Career option in India, you also got to know about the Merchant Navy Exam, Salary, Career, Joining options, eligibility etc.
Other useful Articles:
- SSC CPO Exam 2022 Details- Application, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Selection Process
- Ancient History GK Quiz -3 for SSC CGL [October 2021]- Daily GK Quiz
- Ancient History GK Quiz -2 for SSC CGL [October 2021]- Daily GK Quiz
- SSC CGL Previous Year Question Papers[PDF] Download (2019-2018)
- DFCCIL Answer Key 2021( Out ) : Check Marks and raise Objection
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- REET Syllabus 2021 Level 1,2 Exam Pattern in detail
- Success Story of IAS Kanishak Kataria- AIR-1 UPSC CSE 2018
- DU Cutoff 2021 Admission List- Arts, Commerce, Science
- BPSC 2022 Syllabus and Exam Pattern
FAQ’s for Merchant Navy in India
Q. What is a Merchant Navy job?
Merchant Navy job is a specialized job engaged in commercial activities including the transportation of passengers and goods through the sea route.
Q. What is the highest salary in the Merchant Navy?
The highest salary in the Merchant Navy is for the post of Captain which is around Rs. 8,65,000 to 20,00,000 per month.
Q. How do I join the merchant navy?
You can join the merchant navy after passing 10th or 12th depending upon the post you wish to apply. For higher posts, candidates need graduation in their respective field.